Berta is a cool jazz musician who plays sax and guitar, and sings! She performs around New York City with her band, and brings the funk to Bilingual Birdies in Spanish.
- Name: Berta Moreno
- City, country you are from: Madrid, Spain
- Name of college and what you studied:
Complutense University of Madrid: Music Education Bachelor’s; Psychology for Education Bachelor’s.
Codarts University for the Arts: Saxophone Performance Bachelor’s.
City College of New York (CUNY): Jazz Performance Bachelor’s
- How/Why is your work at BB meaningful to you: I feel that my responsibility as an artist goes further than just performing. Music is a powerful tool that can change people’s lives, it can inspire, it can gather people from different cultures together in the same hall, it is a “Universal Language.”
At Bilingual Birdies I get the opportunity to use music as a social tool to get children exposed to a foreign language.
- Favorite adult band/singer in the language you teach: I love music without lyrics, so the sounds can speak directly to your soul no matter which language you speak, and it also helps expand your imagination. I will say I do love Alejandro Sanz.
- Your special way of getting the children’s attention or unique teaching technique: I love to keep the eye contact with the children all the time, so they can feel we are connected, we are doing this together! Then the rest is about having fun, being dynamic and keep them busy and moving, make rhythms, dance…
- One reason why you think learning a foreign language is important at a young age: Learning a foreign language is just “GOLD.” It has social and emotional benefits as you can communicate in a different language, make new friends from different backgrounds and cultures… Living in a globalized world, speaking different languages will open you the door to many possibilities regarding education, job opportunities, access to information… In addition, learning a foreign language increases critical thinking skills, creativity and flexibility of the mind in young children.
- Favorite part of a BB class: I love the games with Mayla (the puppet) — it is so sweet to see kid’s faces looking at Mayla and giving her hugs, they just love her!!!