Catalina is getting her degree in Music Therapy and is an incredibly positive force of nature! Kids love her jokes and energy.
- Name: Catalina Piedrahita
- City, country you are from: Cali, Colombia
- Name of college and what you studied: Currently studying Masters in Music Therapy from NYU
- How/Why is your work at BB meaningful to you: My work at BB is meaningful because I get to share knowledge, fun, and creativity with the kids and it becomes an exchange environment where everybody gets involved and participates in activities that enhance self-expression while also learning. It is personally meaningful because I learn from them as much as they learn for me, and their energy brightens up my days.
- Favorite adult band/singer in the language you teach: Gustavo Cerati
- Your special way of getting the children’s attention or unique teaching technique: To get their attention, I must be in sync with them, so I match their level and then try to make the class as mysterious, exciting, and magical as I can. I tell them musical stories that relate to the words we are learning and I encourage them to use their bodies to learn the concepts.
- One reason why you think learning a foreign language is important at a young age: Learning a new language at a young age can enhance neural development and kids become better at solving complex problems. They also become more creative and learn how to express themselves in different ways. At an early age, they learn pronunciation better than someone learning a language at an older age. Finally, they get exposed to different cultures and learn about other countries, so they develop an interest in a larger community!
- Favorite part of a BB class: When I come in the room and the kids are excited because “Myla is here!!!!” They greet me with such good energy and enthusiasm, and that sets the tone for a great class.