Sylivan is one of our fun-loving Mandarin teachers. Children flock to his warm smile and awesome musical skills!
- Name: Sylivan Tam
- City, country you are from: Hong Kong
- Name of college and what you studied: City College of New York. Studied Music Education
- How/Why is your work at BB meaningful to you: It is meaningful to me that I can use my gifts in music and my first language to educate children and to have fun with them. It is a blessing to see the children learning and enjoying the presence of music and foreign language.
- Favorite adult band/singer in the language you teach: Mayday
- Your special way of getting the children’s attention or unique teaching technique: When it comes to teaching children, I like to use gestures, voices, and exaggerated movements like a cartoon character. It draws the children closer to me, breaks down the barriers, and makes the lessons much more memorable for the children.
- One reason why you think learning a foreign language is important at a young age: Learning a foreign language is important at a young age because it helps children to understand diversity and it also gives them early exposure to learning how to value, respect, and incorporate different cultures into their lives — especially important to life in New York City and the United States! Learning a foreign language can also benefit children’s social lives and give them peaceful, healthy perspectives on the world and the people around them.
- Favorite part of a BB class: Puppet Review and Bubble Time