Yuhan is a Mandarin teacher who makes children giggle and dance. When she’s not teaching with Bilingual Birdies, she’s out playing vibraphone with her jazz band!
- Name: Yuhan Su
- City, country you are from: Miaoli, Taiwan
- Name of college and what you studied:
Berklee College of Music – Jazz vibraphone performance
Taipei National University of Arts – Percussion (M.M)
- How/Why is your work at BB meaningful to you: It combines two of my most natural languages, Music and Mandarin. And it’s wonderful to be able to share this with people in the U.S. — we have new experiences while having fun!
- Favorite adult band/singer in the language you teach: 蘇打綠. 陳綺貞. 盧廣仲
- Your special way of getting the children’s attention or unique teaching technique: Singing a song they know, and changing it to include new Mandarin words. This way, they are already familiar with the melody, and not feel afraid to jump into trying the new words.
- One reason why you think learning a foreign language is important at a young age: It’s always so much better to learn any language while young, so it just becomes part of you. Also it creates a global vision and inspires children to explore different culture when they grow up.
- Favorite part of a BB class: I love the Hello and Goodbye songs. It’s great to let everyone sing along, and with some call-and-response. I also love watching the children learn little by little every week until they totally get it, and you get see their confidence and happiness while singing.