Krystal creates the ideal learning environment using musical and theatrical improvisation. Playing off of the children’s interest, she connects with the kids in a way that is meaningful and highly educational.
- Name: Krystal Marie Pou Ortiz
- City, country you are from: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Name of college and what you studied:
William Esper Studio / Acting (Contemporary Writing and Production)
- How/Why is your work at BB meaningful to you: It’s meaningful to me because I love kids and I think they are so cute and adorable. I feel teaching is so much fun!! It’s amazing how everyday I teach learn so much from watching the kids learning and enjoying the class. It makes me extremely happy to share my language and culture with children through music, dance, and theatre.
- Favorite adult band/singer in the language you teach: I love Shakira and Juan Luis Guerra
- Your special way of getting the children’s attention or unique teaching technique: I always smile and bring a positive attitude to my classes as well as lots of energy and volume. I also try to make each one of them feel important and make them have a good time with different activities, having a different student assistant for every class and I find that keeps their attention. I love being able to use my piano playing skills to engage the children as I believe music is the universal language and music makes everything more fun!!!
- One reason why you think learning a foreign language is important at a young age: Because it opens up more opportunities for you in the future and it also expands your mind to new things. If I can positively affect children to embrace diversity at such a young age I feel I am contributing to a positive future for all of us. Plus if some of the children already have exposure to Spanish at home, it can be a truly empowering experience for them to see their own home language celebrated so nicely in class with their friends.
- Favorite part of a BB class: The Dance Party!!! It always comes at the end of the class and all the children look forward to it. It’s this wonderful moment where everyone gets to have a chance to free dance and celebrate all that we learned in the time together as well as get some physical activity that always helps re-focus them for what’s coming up at school in their day.