With a degree in music therapy, Meng combines Mandarin Chinese with tried and tested music therapy techniques that will build confidence in your child around speaking this fascinating language and get them excited for the rich culture.
- Name: Meng Gu
- City, country you are from: Shanghai, China
- Name of college and what you studied:
University of Wisconsin- Madison, BA, Film and Math
Molloy College, Music therapy, Graduate program
- How/Why is your work at BB meaningful to you: Since my goal is to become a good music therapist, I think I am definitely gaining a lot of relevant experience and becoming more flexible at working with young children during my work at Bilingual Birdies. I am very proud of my Chinese heritage and look forward to sharing my culture with everyone in each class.
- Favorite adult band/singer in the language you teach: Weiwei Tan
- Your special way of getting the children’s attention or unique teaching technique: I love using different sound effects and musical rhythms to get children’s attention. I can see how effective it is especially when children become overly excited for new themes.
- One reason why you think learning a foreign language is important at a young age: To learn and appreciate other cultures is among the most important work we can be a part of in this life. I am so proud to be able to help children along in that process so they can grow up to be more open-minded adults.
- Favorite part of a BB class: Music is an essential part in every Bilingual Birdies Mandarin class. I love how the music helps children learn new vocabulary in an effective and a fun way. It always makes me so happy to see such young children repeating words and singing the new songs that I teach them in Mandarin with such perfect accents. Music evokes emotion and emotion evokes memory for them so I see how well the method works for them.