Zhuoqun is finishing her masters in music therapy. She skillfully encourages child led lessons while maintaining structure and yet keeping every class fun and engaging for each student.
- Name: Zhuoqun Zheng
- City, country you are from: Beijing, China
- Name of college and what you studied:Molloy College Bachelor’s Degree in Music Therapy
- How/Why is your work at BB meaningful to you: I would like to share my culture to the world and let more people to know more about Chinese culture. The Chinese program at Bilingual Birdies is so unique and unlike anything I have ever seen. It’s a very cool and fun way to be introduced to the language. And of course using my music therapy skills is very useful and effective in the classroom.
- Favorite adult band/singer in the language you teach: Sodagreen
- Your special way of getting the children’s attention or unique teaching technique: I always use musical activities like clapping in fun rhythms and chanting to redirect children’s attention. I find that using hand percussion instruments also help with making the lessons more engaging.
- One reason why you think learning a foreign language is important at a young age: Children will increase cultural tolerance and awareness through learning different languages that helps them to extend their life experience and make connection with the world. And if children are able to start that process at such a young age it’s a wonderful thing for them.
- Favorite part of a BB class: Dance Party! The Dance Party portion of the class is actually a bubble dance party extravaganza where everyone is left feeling happy and filled with joy! I teach a few helpful words in Mandarin for people to use while enjoying all the dance moves!